Are You Prepared For A Hurricane? Here’s Some Important Local Links and Information
- All NC residents can dial 2-1-1 to reach a trained call specialist who can help them find shelters and learn evacuation routes, find help with storm clean-up, locate food, water and ice, learn about volunteer needs and more. The service is available 24/7 and is available in English and Spanish. Visit NC211.org.
- Visit ReadyNC.org for information on how to prepare for the storm. Download their free app to learn weather conditions, traffic conditions, shelters, evacuations, and more.
- National Hurricane Center Storm Tracking
- National Hurricane Center Preparedness
- Up-to-date Weather Information
- NC Disaster Information Center
- Hurricane Preparedness for Pets
- Hurricane Preparedness Timeline
- Helpful Smartphone Apps and Tips
- Be Prepared: Water Tips
Power Outage Information: Save these numbers in your phones now! (and be sure to write them down on paper too!)
City of Morganton: residents should call 828-438-5277 to report any power outages
Duke Energy: Report an outage: 800-419-6356 or text OUT to 57801. Receive outage notifications: Text REG to 57801. Outage map
Energy United: Call 1-800-EUNITED (1-800-386-4833) to use our Automated Support System. Report Online HERE
Rutherford EMC: Morganton Office 1-800-228-9756 / 828-584-1410
Town of Granite Falls: Report an Outage or Emergency 8:00 am to 5:00 pm (Monday – Friday): Call Town Office at 828.396.3131 Evenings, Holidays, and Weekends: Call the Police Department at 828.396.3358
- Avoid Carbon Monoxide Poisoning During & After Hurricane
- BlueCross BlueShield of North Carolina Customer Tips for Accessing Care During Hurricane
- Food Safety & Power Outages
- Medicines, Water, Food & Other Key Supplies to Have on Hand
- FEMA: Find shelters (once they have opened) by texting “SHELTER” and zip code to 4FEMA (43362).
For example, for our area you could text to 43362: SHELTER 28645 for Lenoir; text to 43362: SHELTER 28655 for Morganton; text to 43362: SHELTER 28638 for Hudson; text to 43362: SHELTER 28630 for Granite Falls; or text to 43362: SHELTER 28601 (or 28602 or 28603) for Hickory.
- Red Cross Shelters: View a list at redcross.org/shelter.